These energy bars are excellent for their flavor and texture, when you try them you will discover that they are not the typical sticky bars. On the contrary, they are firm but very delicate; when you bite them, they melt in your mouth and that is when the bitter chocolate, coconut and sweet Goji berries are savored in all their glory.
Goji berries are a red fruit native to China. Here in Spain we find it dehydrated. It has a very mild sweet taste with a quite acid touch. A few years ago, these berries became fashionable for being considered a super food with anti-aging properties. Personally, I think that you should not get carried away by these sensational labels and you always have to check what truths and lies are behind.
Properties of Goji Berries
It is a very rich fruit invitamin C, which has an antioxidant effect. Antioxidants are nutrients that stop some of the damage caused by free radicals, which cause oxidation and aging of cells. So goji berries are not anti-agingper se, but it is the effect of vitamin C, which we also find in many other fruits and vegetables: orange, kiwi, red pepper ... This is especially interesting, since vitamin C is essential for the absorption of non-heme iron.
And they say that Goji berries make you feel so good and give you so much energy? Well, the effect of carbohydrates on the body, which are also provided by dried fruits (for having a high concentration) or cereals such as oats, which I have also used in the recipe. In addition, an interesting fact about Goji berries is that they provide about 14 grams of protein per 100. And they also contain the 8 essential amino acids.
On the other hand, do you know that during exercise thecellular oxidation? It is very important to replenish after exercise with foods rich in antioxidants, such as Goji berries. And taking advantage of the fact that they are rich in carbohydrates, what better way than to combine them with oats and make some energy bars before training? These bars will give you energy without sugar rush and also high quality protein. Oats, when taken in the form of whole grain flakes, maintain all their nutrients, including 12 grams of protein per 100.
Oatmeal and Goji Berry Energy Bars
- 140 g fine rolled oats
- 100 g of Goji berries
- 60g coconut oil
- 40 g of roasted hazelnuts
- 50 g unsweetened dark chocolate
- First, melt the coconut oil if necessary. When the temperature is below 21º, coconut oil is in a solid state (butter). a few seconds in the microwave are enough.
- Line a rectangular mold with plastic wrap.
- Crush the Goji berries with the coconut oil, hazelnuts, and rolled oats.
- Pass this dough to the mold, pressing and leveling well so that it is a compact bar with the perfect shape.
- Melt the chocolate and cover the mass of the bars. Garnish with some Goji berries and chill in the fridge.
- When it has hardened, you can cut the bars.