We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
How to make the giardiniera: homemade pickle recipe to keep or eat immediately. Useful tips for quick preparation.
Theregardeneris one of thepreservesolder than the peasant tradition. If today it is very popular (so much so that some estimators prepare the pickle to eat immediately!), It was once the only method to preserve the overabundant production of vegetables in the summer months. In practice, thegardenerwas born aspreservesto ensure, in the winter months, the possibility of bringing peppers, cucumbers, green beans, celery and other typical vegetables to the table. In fact, there is no lack ofpickled zucchiniand / oreggplant.
How to make the giardiniera
Before seeing thehomemade pickle recipe, I point out some tools you will need:
- Sterile jars with screw cap
- Cookware and kitchen utensils
- Vegetable slicer (optional)
These are tools that are easy to find at home, however I would like to point out that, if you do not have enough jars available to store the abundant production of vegetables in your garden, you can buy a large set of glass jars for less than one euro each. On Amazon, in fact, lots of 40 - 50 jars can be bought with prices ranging from 30 to 45 euros. For more information, I invite you to visit the Amazon page: set of 48 glass jars with lids.
Let's now turn to thehomemade pickle recipe.
How to make the giardiniera to preserve
If you purchased the jars of the size indicated in the set that I recommended earlier, the following ingredients will be enough to fill 12 jars.
- 1 ball of cavolgiore
- 10 spring onions
- 4 sticks of celery
- 4 carrots
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 500 gr of green beans
- 5 sweet green chillies
- 1 liter of white wine vinegar
- 1 liter of water
- 60 grams of coarse salt
- 180 grams of sugar
- plenty of extra virgin olive oil
Here she isrecipemorefastand practice to prepare thegardener to preservefor the winter:
- Clean, wash and dry the vegetables.
- Slice the vegetables always keeping them all separate.
- In a saucepan (with a lid) pour the vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Cook the vegetables for a few minutes, cooking must be minimal and al dente, so as to have semi-raw vegetables or vegetables with a crunchy consistency. For a tougher texture, some recommend using raw peppers!
- With a slotted spoon, scoop the vegetables out of the pot and dry them well on a clean cloth. Let the vegetables rest until the next day.
- Place the vegetables in the jars and then add extra virgin olive oil until they are completely covered.
Before consuming the giardiniera, I advise you to wait at least 15 days, during which you will keep the jars in a cool, dry and dark place.
How to cut vegetables to make a homemade pickle
These indications are valid both for therecipeof theGiardiniera to be consumed immediately, both for theGiardiniera to be kept for the winter.
- The cauliflower should be divided into florets.
- Spring onions in wedges.
- Sliced celery.
- The green chilli in rounds, have the patience to remove the seeds.
- The peppers in sticks.
- Green beans should only be cleaned and eventually cut in half if too long.
Theregardener to preserve, generally, it should be consumed within a year of its preparation. The Giardiniera to eat immediately, should be served just after preparation
How to make the giardiniera to be consumed immediately
In reality the recipe is the same. There are only small variations.
Slice the vegetables as described and follow the recipe forhomemade gardener to preserve up to point 5. When the vegetables are cold and dry, you will not have to put them in a sterile jar to keep, but just put them on a plate and season them!
Sweet and sour Giardiniera
Today we often hear aboutgiardiniera in bitter-sweet, it is important to understand that this is not a culinary innovation: it has always been that, in peasant cuisine, a little sugar has been added to vegetable preserves to dampen the strong flavor of the vinegar.
For thesweet and sour giardinierajust add a variable amount of sugar according to your personal tastes. In my recipe I proposed "only" 180 grams of sugar but there are also those who add 200 grams of sugar to every liter of vinegar used. The amount of sugar to use to obtain thesweet and sour pickles to preserve or eat immediatelyvaries according to your palate!
Vegetables for gardener
In addition to the vegetables indicated, in the Giardiniera you can also put:
Zucchini, peppers and onions should be lightly seared because being very tender, prolonged cooking would make them not very crunchy.
Vegetable preserves, other recipes to make at home
- Asparagus in oil
- Aubergines in oil